2008/07/30

 

Re assessing my week’s in Nairobi



After reading some material from The four hour work week blog which I originally remember reading on Mix Masters blog I’ve deiced to try a new approach to my day (for now)

My main objective being: be as active as possible
This does not mean that I will only work four hours a day, or that I will spend as much money as possible – it means that when it comes down to it, the times I remember most revolve around “doing.” Regardless of what that is. Not doing usually goes by a term I think most college age persons understand but I will explain for those of you that don’t:

Facebooking – The act of checking up on social gossip for hours on end to little or no advancement in productivity. Usually on the website www.facebook.com but also on www.myspace.com , news/google.com , and well just about any other time waster you can imagine on the internet. Idle Gossip at work while not working also applies to this category.

The conflict I have with this ideology is that I find large parts of my week scheduled around planning (which is some form of ‘doing’). The Mountain club of Kenya is a great example. Every Tuesday I head over to Wilson Airport to “plan” the weekend out with new hikers and climbers – I can also do this by email, by the way- there is more drinking and eating (which are fun, but not really all that involved) than climbing or much of anything else.

Social engagements are fun, but don’t really supply the ‘doing’ that I’m looking for. For instance yesterday I decided to run from the hostel that I just moved into – to work. It was awesome! I hadn’t run much of anywhere in forever. Kenyans though I was crazy (not much running going on inside the town) but hell, my endorphins were pumped so much that I decided I didn’t need to take a Matatu from my hostel to work ….ever again :D [excluding late night danger times]

If I could do more of something and less of Facebooking, then I think life would be pretty cool. So… here’s my week (again) where I evaluate my level of doing vs. facebooking [I’ll try to make a chart too]



Monday (where the week really starts- Mentally):
-not much here

Tuesday:
-Eat out at Comfort Inn with friend, plan the week (could be allot more active)
-Mountain club of Kenya (again a ‘planning night’)

Wednesday:
-Nairobi Dive club

Thursday:
-MSS and discussion nights ☺

Friday:
-Partying in excess

The weekend:
Much ‘doing’ happens here, so no need :p

(That wasn’t as productive as I thought it would be which is weird since I feel like I do allot :\, this might be more interesting than I thought)

I know I’ve said it before, and I know I’ll probably say it again- but I need to focus on ‘me,’ find out what I can do for ‘me,’ and not everybody else (meaning I’m not at the bar for your enjoyment, if I’m not having fun I’ll leave- simply put)


This week’s new resolution:
No more than one beer a day- otherwise it’s a waste of money and not conducive to my personal enjoyment, drink water or tea instead- it’s good for you (and there’s more variety here)! And if you’re in a social situation where there is more beer drinking than ‘not’ going on- decided what you are doing the next day and figure out if it’s really worth it. (you can always hike Ngong hills for free)

Currently reading: White Fang by Jack London
This story along with ‘The Swiss Family Robinson’ is probably the first movie I remember watching. I really have been looking for something more ‘wild’ while at the same time satisfying in a fictional way.

I was in a bookstore about twenty minuets before I was going out for a weekend of climbing, and I ran across a shelf of Penguin Classic’s for relatively low prices, and found both ‘White Fang’ and ‘The Call of the Wild’ in the same librus, ergo I purchased the item (on my way out I saw ‘The four hour work week,’ which I’ll have to go back and get before too long- at the rate I’m devouring this short work on wolves in Alaska* which really makes me want to go up North!

Book related tangent/ Babies
Katherines blog on all things book related, made me update my book log, to where I now have a non-online related catalog which I found for mac’s called Bookpedia. It scans bar codes and is cool.

Related, There is a new Eliot in the world, and He will be a great poet if all goes according to plan. May the world be with you little one (it won’t but it’s better to instill hope than dispar, builds character too)

And… Jasen, who I don’t think has a blog, but I’ll find it if he does recommended that I read: David Mitchell and Italo Calvino – and Katherine made me think about Umberto Eco, and Joe’s head exploding, so I’ll look into him to (less movies and comics more reading)


*Carleigh High just got back from her NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) course in Alaska! Yey, and when she puts ups a gallery which isn’t on Facebook! I’ll send you a link ☺**

**I might delete my Facebook account :p – or just leave it up and link it to my blog but never check it (so message me)

Comments:
The only book of David Mitchell's that I've read is Cloud Atlas... which I really, really liked :-)

My summer abroad is coming to an end... :-(
 
Sean... Call Home, now!
 
I love White Fang :(

I normally hate dogs, and this singular novel reaffirmed my faith in all things canine.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home