2008/05/22

 

My parents being right: ughhh

As a child I was known as a “picky eater.” I didn’t eat foods that were green, squishy, new, different, foreign, exciting, zesty… you get my point. My favorite food then, and now for that matter, was pasta with cheese- no tomato sauce, meat, or any other complex variation of vegetables. So I didn’t die of malnutrition, my mother put carrots on the side.

If forced to eat mushrooms, beats, squash, broccoli, tomatoes, and most items you would put in a salad, I would swallow it whole, and make dinner awkward for everyone. My parents said I would grow to enjoy the foods I distained at the time, my father using the example of cheese; which he used to hate then later learned to love for all the various flavors and complexities.

Well they were right

First off I think some it was out of necessity, going away to college, where other people at many different items, which I was invited to try, the other was travel, where I was forced to eat new and exciting items of taste.

I find here that many foods are foreign to people, in the theoretic sense. The idea for raw fish is abhorred for many, but I very much enjoy sushi, it might even lie on the same line of taboo homosexuality with some that I’ve talked to (they would rather homosexuals kill themselves out of depression than except who they are in a society who doesn’t permit such behavior)

In some ways I find it funny, in others very sad

Which brings me to my “sad” eating habits here, at least for breakfast- right now I’m eating chips and mayonnaise (I’ve grown to like it) and Green tea- sometimes I’ll have toast and jelly (out of bread right now)

At home … In Ah-mer-ic-ha, I eat cereal and milk, with some juice- but it’s too expensive here, it would be about $7 a box+ milk, which is hard to transport.

So .. what do you eat, that I might have better luck with, I’m not into eggs, and I’ve thought about oatmeal, but I need a enjoyable way to ingest it- whatever that means

Reading:
Arabat-Clive Baker
(Think alliance in wonderland meets Neil Gaimen)

By the way: what do you do when your personal life is more interesting than the books you're reading !?

Movies I want to watch:
Across the universe
Iron Man
Prince Caspian
(I should probably watch blood diamond shouldn’t I :\)

Request:
Is anybody going to be in Europe this fall?
-making plans ☺

Comments:
How available is fresh produce? You should look into that.

I don't know if I like certain foods now because I have a more refined palate or because those foods have been prepared differently. Case in point: broccoli. My childhood was plagued with steamed, limp, disgusting mush. But now I would kill for a bowl of roasted, toasty florets dusted with pepper and parmesan cheese.
 
I'd recommend substituting bhajia from Bizack for the chips. It's near Nairobi University and is ten times better than regular chips. Bonus: you get chachumburi (a pico-de-gallo kind of condiment) if you're willing to ingest that.
 
Peruvian hotels always had bread, lots of various kinds of fruit, pineapple juice, mango juice, mate de coca (tea made from the same leaves they use to make cocaine), and some form of eggs for breakfast. My madre's favorite breakfast food was tamales, so maybe you can find something Kenyan that you like that's easy to make/buy? That chachumburi with bhajia stuff sounds exciting, too. Have fun exploring the flavors of Africa.
 
I'll be in Europe! Me! Me! Pick Me!!

You know you want to visit me...

and mayonnaise...ew.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home