2008/03/22

 

Dunia!

Dunia's here! yey!

After some interesting days, scrambling around, working, and eating.... and more eating. I finally got to see my American friend :D

I'll sit down later and write my usual two pages of text, but funny notes:

-I'm called: "The Perpetually invincible 20 year old who can't spell worth shit" - I find this very funny, and for the most part true

-My mothers voice in my head is nagging me about eating to much fried food

-I'm working on interviewing several African's about their views on the American presidential race, if you have questions you think I should ask, feel free to post.

-Dunia taught me some more poses, and we stretched last night at 11 to wake us up before going out- yey new poses (yoga...ish stuff)

-I have a revived hatred for "bed bugs" and the "winged spawn of Satan" known as mosquitoes


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The unexpected
-Words in a non-poetic arraignment-

I came not knowing where I was going
I knew that I did not know
I’m still amazed

I love looking back, thinking about my conceptions of what the future to come would be, and the now being something completely and totally different

Problems don’t solve themselves, don’t look up for answers, ask for help when you need it, but inspiration is probably the most you can get- and I hope that it changes everything

I love my friends, and all that they’ve given me – more than I ever expected for and probably more than I deserve

I love my family and all that I’ve put them through, I’m sorry, I’m thankful, and I’ll see you soon.

Weather:
The Rainy season has begun. On Thursday I was trapped with fifteen other people at the university, in a very small room, for something like 2 hours while it poured outside. It now rains most nights, sometimes long, sometimes short ( I believe it’s the short rains – season) starting around 6 pm. There is no daylights savings time here, the sun only varies by about 30 minuets year round.

Reading:
I recently finished “Foundling” by D. M. Cornish. Shorter than I would have liked in such a well created environment, I was thrilled to find a new fantasy (or possibility science-fiction) author who did not use: Dragons, dwarves, elves, or magic [ in it’s conventional form], let alone the words.

The main character is boy of uncertain origins with a female’s name (Rossamund) who is recruited from his orphanage (which is aimed at teaching it’s students to enter the navy) into somewhat suspicious circumstances, and journeys in a very dangerous world populated by monsters which populate a world of immense proportions ( there are plenty of maps and an appendix which takes up 1/3 of the book).

The author creates odd and creepy technologies which humans use on themselves in a neromancer like fashion. Engines are powered by lab grown muscles, spies douse their eyes with sight altering chemicals which allow them to look through objects, surgeries are performed to allow people to shoot electricity through their hands at an enormous expense to their well being. Continents are created, history written to parallel a Greco-roman founding of Rome (an possibly Carthage), Latin interspersed throughout the novel in the naming of cities, people, and objects.

The new environment which Cornish creates is very mysterious even at the conclusion of the first book, and one I hope to revel in more in the upcoming sequel. I will not debate the adolescent audience of this work, but the effort put into the creation of this world is comparable to that of J.K Rowling’s fantasy world combined with the beginnings of Tolkien’s ring series, but written in a Dickens world with sprinkles of macabre delights.

Hearing:
It’s actually getting slightly better

Life:
Dunia arrived Tuesday; I didn’t see her till Thursday night, which Sharron the LCP of AIESEC USIU (where she’s working – and she’s staying with Sharron) dropped her off. We then traveled to the Parklands with Henry a fellow TN from Taiwan to see a friend. We caught up on life in the US, her travels, my stay in Kenya, stuff to think about when your in Nairobi (like walking alone at night), and other pleasantry’s.

I’ll probably see here again later this week – going hiking Monday (that’s Easter right?)

UoN seems to be the most active LC, and lots of TN’s come to us. It’s nice ☺

Comments:
Eeeew. Mosquitoes. Good luck; Minnesota had 'em bad, too!

Hope you're having a blast. I love reading what you've been up to!

- Cass
 
My thoughts upon your thoughts, respectively:

-Yes, you are called that

-We're young, fried food is ok. Plus, we're from the South, it's how we roll

-"What are the greatest potential effects that you see each candidate having on Kenya's own situation?"

-She's a regular Yogi :)

-Agreed.

Do me a favor and keep an eye out for Dunia? I probably don't need to be worrying, but I am anyway. You've been there longer, so I figure you know your way around a little bit better. Sheesh, now I have TWO people to worry about in Nairobi!
 
Oh no no no no, my dear Shanky this will not do. The Foundling is a "young adult" novel... let's graduate from fantasy to dystopia!

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood should be your starting point.

Glad to see you're doin' well.
 
Thanks for the offer, I am just really busy right now. I will probably just wait for the summer to really get started.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home