2008/03/10

 

Answers(?):

[What is Sean doing in Kenya?]
I am working for AIESEC Nairobi (a local chapter of an international student organization – which I am part of) as the Project Director of the Young EntrepreneurS (YES) program. The program is funded by a local bank, which is also paying my salary, and is partnered with several microfinance institutions and local businesses to continue a program that teaches recent graduates how to start and run a business. The program works through a series of classroom sessions, networking events, external trips, and the submission of business plans by the participants to be reviewed by our board of advisors for funding. We are also working on a way to track alumni and aid them with networking or any resources they might need. Local business owners, loan officers, accountants, business schoolteachers, and other relevant people teach the sessions.
There are also five international interns (with business and marketing backgrounds) that will be taught about the local realities and then mentor the students in creating a business plan. As of right now we are looking to finish in July, and I will be working on the final report and follow through alumni program afterwards.

[How often are you going to post?]
When I feel like it and/or 3 times a week (M/W/F) to keep me in track- and so my parents phone bill doesn’t sky rocket

[Where are you]
I am in a Nairobi suburb called Kilimani; there aren’t really neighborhoods, but gated complexes with four or five story apartments. I live in one of these called Elite Park, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on Google, so don’t bother. If you want a relevant location look for the YaYa center or Hurlingham, I pass it on my way home.

[Why are you never on skype or AIM, and why are there so never picture uploads?]
The Internet is slow here – just about everywhere I go, so picture uploads are possible but they will be low res and you’re just going to have to deal with that. There’s also an 8 hour time difference so when I wake up it’s 11 PM in Atlanta. So I leave work around six that makes it 10 am in Atlanta. Oh, I also don’t have the Internet at home. I doubt a videoconference is possible, but we can try at some odd hour and I can sleep at the LC.

[Is your hearing coming back?]
From what I understand it’s nerve damage, so maybe. It has gotten slightly better, but not enough to make a huge difference. If it does, it will be slow and gradual, probably over the next month or two.

If you have any more questions ask, but that’s what most people have been asking

Now for my other thoughts:

I just got back from a conference, which are always motivational, and I realized I need to be more engaging. I taught a few people a difference version of a few dances (and realized I didn’t have the music to black betty or Bebot 0_o) but I could have done so much more – like LC cheers (which some colleges kinda had) and just relating fun thing that our MC and LC do. I also found some really fun stuff that Kenya does that we don’t in the US.

I realized that I represent the US more than I thought. Every time someone wanted to point out a bad leader there were pictures of George Bush and I eventually had to stand up and defend my country from all the slander that I felt was being directed towards it. I won’t spout my political views on here, but it still feels very awkward to have your country at the butt of so many comments.

I need to schedule my week more. I guess I thought about Mixmaster’s comment in his blog about having more habits- that I think could be beneficial to me. Little things like Sunday night planning session with myself, lists of weekly non-work related goals, and stretching in the mornings. I have a whole pile of papers I need to go through. I also need to proofread and sensor myself a little more, and try photojournalism with my slow upload.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Dibs on sending Shanky all the relevant AIESEC music on a CD. (You do have a CD drive on your laptop right? o_o)
 
So what's this website thing you messaged be about?
 
Hey man, I heard about your run in with the lawless. I am a little behind I admit, but wanted to say that I am glad to hear that you're alive and taking it fairly well. (or at least you make it sound that way). I am glad to hear that you are still trying to experiance everything you can regardless. It makes me smile. Keep it up. There are those of us still here in the states thinking about you and your adventures. Keep on doin' what you do.

Aaron
 
Speaking of keeping habits, I've been using a neat little site for it called Joe's Goals: http://www.joesgoals.com. It's about as simple as it gets, but it's excellent for just keeping track of whether you've accomplished something (or done something you didn't want to).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home