2008/02/05

 
Let’s try this again- A more organized perspective

I arrived in Kenya on the first of February to a foreign country filled with lively people who unconcernedly forage the streets amidst a sea of insane drivers, who stare unconcerned and smile at the slightest hint of joy coming from you, who are open and friendly. I didn’t know what to expect, but whatever it was this was certainly not it.
Winnie, Mutheu, Chichi, Slyvia, and Helima greeted me at the airport. They immediately noted how tall I am, and throughout the day became more and more interested in my hair; it was amusing at the least. Driving in Halima’s car, I sat quietly in the left front seat as a passenger while the four girls asked questions of where I had come from, what I hoped to do, if I knew and Kiswahili, and I in turn answered what I could.
Coming out of the airport, the first thing that stuck me was the National park, which borders Jomo Kenyatta airport. Two Massai stood watching over a head of cattle behind a wire fence, a thing separation between the bustling pothole ridden road and the assortment of interesting vehicles that traveled on it. The word car might require liberal use, as many vehicles are half running, or a collaboration of pieces. There are Matutus which American style service vans which windows and hold what looks to be 15 people with a usher hanging off the side. These vehicles combined with other unpredictable traffic weave off and on the road, stopping and letting people of, then cutting aggressively back into traffic. We almost hit the car in front of us twice, and the round about do not make it any easier.
Probably the most awkward sight was the people in the streets. There are not cross walks or cross signs, just determined pedestrians who force there way across, in a very unhurried manner. There are also street merchants, who try to sell you items as you sit in your car in slow traffic, and it’s funny stuff. Magazines, posters, and pens were just a few of the items I saw as we drove through Nairobi. The side walks are open to any aggressive driver, as they have a three fold function of trash can, walkway, and unpaved road (bumpy road has a whole new meaning to me). In effort to slow some drivers down there are also speed bumps which seems to scratch any car that driver over them save an SUV, especially when loaded with 5 college students.
The girls first took me to the University of Nairobi, located in the central business district – which is a beautiful mass of people intertwined with cars, not the other way around as the way from the airport seemed. Everyone was dressed very nicely, no shorts (which I’ve found to be consistant everywhere except the campus), and like the road, everyone walked at there own pace. There’s a certain something I can’t describe right now about the location but pictures might help.
Once parked we searched for a way for me to exchange currency, which turned out to be behind a bulletproof mirror with armed guards, then proceeded to let my hostess’ barging for a cell phone which I could use in Kenya. It’s very easy to obtain a number and credit. I pay 100 ksh, and I have that much credit, how much I spend varies from call to call, but it they are so easy to obtain, and for any service that you can easily monitor your phone express.
The day continued with me dropping my items of at my new lodgings, which is located past hurling ham in a location I can’t pronounce or seem to remember, but the complex is Elite Park, and the bus round it #46.
We found our way to a local bar, where I found Tusker (think elephants) beer, and then end the night around 1am, meeting Pesika, one of the sisters from my host family.

The next morning I ran into some troubles with the waterworks of the house, a bloody nose, and all the while trying to keep my noise levels down to a minimum. Flushing the toilet, washing my hands, sneezing, taking apart a porcelain totem, all actions felt very loud at four am.
Later after I meet Peskia’s sister Nerea (who was having her baby shower that day) I meet with the girls at the office along with a few other members who showed up later, about eight in total, and we proceeded to walk around campus, and played basketball, watch a rugby match, eat Chicken, find shade, then walk to down town from campus (maybe a quarter mile) which in the process I was pestered by every child under tha age of five for anything I had. They weren’t dressed poorly, or hungry looking, they just begged, and you could see them go back to their parents after they figured out I wasn’t giving them anything.
The Night continued with a carpool to a party (in a really nice complex) where I met lots of new people, some in AIESEC and other just interesting people. There was lots of talk about American TV shows, Kenyan politics, truth or dare, and lots of use of the word “high” which is used in the place of “drunk,” or “wasted.”
I was tired around three am and found a corner to fall asleep in, but someone shoved me into a car, and I found myself locked outside my apartment at four am. I didn’t want to wake them as I hadn’t really spend that much time with my host’s and I felt really guilty, so I waited for a while listening to the call to prayer, the barking dogs, and I think I used all my cell credit calling my parents before I decided I was being stupid and rang the door bell. Pesika let me and, and I went to be feeling abashed.

I have to think about the next few days a little more, but just some interesting things I’ve noticed while being here:
-My stomach does not stop grumbling :\ - probably the meat
-It is a good Idea to bring your own toilet paper wherever you go
-Coke comes in glass bottles, but is expected to be left at the restaurant
-Coke has very flourishing campaigns here (organic art work) – I have not seen any pepsi
-fries here ( or chips) are really cheep
-not many people wear sunglasses – mostly girls for fashion
-Town shuts down at dark, the crowds are gone, the cars are gone, being alone would be a bad idea, and it’s frightening how quickly it happens.
-everyone has a gate and a fence, and a guard for that matter, they let everyone in it seems, but they are still there. I guess it’s because I’m dressed decently, but I feel like I could walk up to any gate and look expectantly and get in. [hundreds of walled complex’s]
-The internet is dead slow, and all the computers are from the 90’s
-Plugs here don’t fit very tightly- everything “hangs out”

Comments:
Have you thought about getting Dunia to carry your camera to you?

Furthermore, you need to fix your match situation. You are still listed as available on my@.net. You need to fix this with your company. Keep Jessica and Laleh in the loop; the sooner, the better.
 
You're never on Skype!

In your next post, list some times when you think you'll be reliably available.

BTW where did your bloody nose come from? You get into a fist fight with a lion already?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home