2008/02/12

 

Concerns

People are constantly worrying about my safety, the state of Kenya, and now "That the administration was largely unaware" of my presence here.

First off, thank you.
I understand your concern, I too read the news, have watched TV in both the states and here in Kenya, and have read the horrifying blogs of peace-core evacs.

Let me start off with my decision for coming to Kenya.
I had applied for an internship with AIESEC Nairobi before the election "skirmishes" had occurred, I had talked to a family friend, and he had already advised me to be weary of the elections, as the previous elections had also had a somewhat violent history.

December 27th I was in Manchester New Hampshire on winter break. I do not believe I learned of the troubles until the 2nd, as I was spending most of the time climbing and hiking in the White Mountains and Green Mountains. I actually heard from my mother, that 600 had been killed in election related violence, and that people were being evacuated.

When I got home, I called my people in Kenya, emailed, and texted them … pretty much at the same time. They told me Nairobi was fine, that the violence was in the west, and that westerners were not affected.

Next Kofi Annan arrived, diplomacy began to take place, and things started to settle down. This does not mean the violence completely stopped, there are still rumor here of gangs going around the slums (which I have not been to nor do I plan to go to in the present situation), there is violence still in the west and I’ve been told not to travel to far from the city (unless it to the south and east)

Before I came, I talked to western missionaries who were working in somewhat troubled areas, to UN friends who worked in Nairobi, and to friends who had lived there (along with the people who I would be staying with, and those I would work with)

ALL of them told me, as a westerner in Nairobi, that I would be safe, and should be more concerned with Nairobi’s crime in general than the elections.

I flew out on Jan 30th 2008 with assurances that I would be safe, living in a guarded complex in a nice part of town – Kilimani, which is between Lavington and Hurlingham, a “posh” area as I’ve been told. Even before I left I did the following:

Registered with the US State department – as a personal traveling to Kenya- I receive travel warnings, and have been given a warden to contact as a link to the US embassy.

Found local hospitals numbers, and emergency numbers, I pass two hospitals on the way to town, and I work right next to a police station – they have a bar in the back, it’s nice and the police are generally friendly despite the automatic guns they all carry. There are police everywhere, and most stores have their own security guards.

Took two cell-phones, and wrote all the numbers of all the contacts I had in my journal, had 4 passport photos, all my immunizations – and the documents to prove it.

All of my documents are copied, and given to the proper people back in the states and in Kenya.

When I arrived here, I visited the US embassy, which I wrote about earlier. The town hall meeting which was lead by the US ambassador to Kenya assessed the situation, and explained the evacuation procedures, who to call and what to do. There were almost 200 people in attendance, some peace core relocated persons, some CDC workers who were in the west.

The peace core had been pulled out because their transportation could not be assured if they had been injured. I have friends who are in similar situations, who are now in Nairobi until they feel it is safe to go back.

In my daily life I walk maybe 2 kilometers, am begged by many children, and pestered by some, but I feel safe, even alone when I know where I’m going and what I’m doing.

I understand people concerns, I see the media in Kenya and we look at it in aw, as that’s not what’s happening in Nairobi. People don’t have time for this conflict; they have jobs and families that occupy their time. I have a project to work on that isn’t going to wait, one of the reasons there is killing is that people in the slums don’t have anything to do – or lose, which the project that I’m working on is combating (youth unemployment).

The fact that this happened, that is can happen is a symptom larger problems which need to be addressed in Kenya, not a reason to pull out and abandon a country which is readdressing a fifty year old problem- a problem that has a chance to be fixed. The talks are evident of that and the fact that the army hasn’t taken over is evident of it.

If you wish to give your concern, thank you, I appreciate being worried about, just like I worry about you – your safety, wellbeing, and prosperity – but also think about who I’m working with, the people I now know here, and what their going through. I have the option of leaving, of being removed from this conflict, being blissfully ignorant.

You care because you know me, because I’m somehow associated with you. I bet you looked into Kenya, or looked twice when a report about the violence came up. I know I learned more about the place I was going when I realized that there were five hundred people that no longer existed, and that I probably couldn’t travel to half the country. Think if I had gone to Sudan, or Nepal, or Chechnya. Would you be concerned about me, I hope so, but also realize that there are people there who you can be just as concerned about, people I might have been friends with, people who I could have cared about.

Open your eyes, there’s more going on than just where you are, more that affects you than you realize. Here in Kenya the prices of fruits has gone up because it’s hard to transport them, In America ethanol prices have risen, creating who know how much change that affects you in pennies at first, but dollars later.

Look back at those sources you looked to find about Kenya, look at what else is going on in the world, get a more global perspective, I have friends in Qatar, Thailand, Russia, Korea, Germany, France, Jordan, and when I see something happening there I’m concerned, not just for a mass of rioting people, but for those I know are sitting at home watching the new, asking themselves what the hell those idiots are killing each other over, and why it’s happening to their country.

It’s amazing what happens when you personify someone, and don’t think of them as “Kenyan,” but by their name.

Comments:
Dont tell us to look around the world and feel bad. Our eyes are clearly on you as you update us on the situation. We care about you. period. dont tell us off.

and dont wear that hat when the opposition is self titled "The Orange Democratic Movement"

be safe, have fun.
 
That just made me cry, but crying aside please be safe and true what your friend says about the hat, dont wear it in public or dont wear it period! it maybe seen as being a symbol of support for the opposition and these are sensitive issues especialy with the LC you will be working with. be vigilant and as the talks near an end keep in contact with your warden and always have emergency credit back up. the coming 48-72 hours are crucial as you have probably read and heard in the news.

i totaly understand what you are saying i am here worrying about my sisters nerah and pesika and patty and all familly members. so dont be hard on those who worry about you.i call al the time as you probably would have heard, they say im paranoid. thats another story.
 
I'm really glad that you have this perspective now. What a big change from the day before you arrived there. :)
 
talk about a paradigm shift.
you constantly impress me, I don't know how to say how proud I am of you.
I miss you. Tons.
 
Shanky, you are fast earning your Change Agent wings. Keep rocking on.
 
Shanky, you're our Chuck Norris.
 
Wow. Honestly, thank you for that. As I prepare for my own departure, it's posts like these that make me think "this is it -- this is the effect I hope my traineeship has on me." It's amazing and inspiring that you are already there.
 
OK, I feel better now. You make some good points but you're still half a world away and in the third world at that, so it's natural for the less adventurous among us to be concerned. All that aside, watch your back, stay aware of what's going on around you and accomplish your mission there. Then when you come home you can amaze us with the stories of what you saw and did.
 
You know I trust you, so I never doubted you were doing everything you could to make sure you were safe... but it's still good to hear the details of it.

I'm going to try to get one of your IMs one of these days, too.
 
you're going to learn so much there, sean. i'm really excited for you.
it's great that you're so devoted to keeping us updated, but please don't feel like you're obligated to do so. take care.
 
HI!!!
So, now that I know you HAVE this thing, here is my first comment.
If people are worried about your orange hat, shouldn't they also be worried about your orange HAIR? Just a thought.
I miss you, nobody eats lunch with me anymore.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home