2008/02/15

 

Bike?

Lets see…
Work is fun, though from talking to some people I’ve figured out that the balls been rolling and I need to do a little catching up (which is weird since I though I was the one everyone was waiting on).

According to my schedule I have 2-3 marketing calls, 3 proposals due, a schedule to plan, a budget to revamp (having a budget makes things much easier), two banks to work with (use leverage or just consult with them as individuals in a business group / investors club), work on creating the Board of Advisors – find a chamber of commerce like group for Nairobi (their web site hasn’t been updated in 3 years so I doubt they’re still around), ohh and make posters.

---Skip this if you are not part of the international student group know as AIESEC---------

So yeah, enough about work. Well… not really, for those of you who don’t know, because I didn’t tell you, the University of Nairobi main campus (in Nairobi) is closed until further notice (rumors say April [upadte - it's monday]) so the whole Aiesec at Nairobi is basically full time, it’s kind of scary how much they get done. There are three major projects going on right now. A fourth is in the process.

Projects here isn’t really an option, everybody has to be part of a project, but that’s because there are projects, which are funded. The OC’s are like pimps, and it’s just awesome, there’s a policy that the LCP has to have been on a OC for some event or project to be elected, I don’t see this as a problem at GT (with conferences), but if we did projects, holy crap it would be sweet. - I feel that there are more orgs on campus at GT which hurts us a little ,were UoN has less, so they can get more attention - we just have to pull hard on the Exchange side of all this.

There’s so much collaboration, and people don’t sit around, they have to work, and if there isn’t anything going on at GPM’s they just go to their project – because there like “wtf is this shit, if you guys can’t make a presentation about the AIESEC acronyms interesting with this silly crossword, then I’m going to go work on my passion with ___ project” Just like that ( this is a little exageration).

Oh, and we had two people present today, the BOA of projects, and a project management professor/consultant/87 time project completor. All about time tables, and planning… and someone tell me how the new members are, and how projects is going… Kyle.

------------End AIESEC related words-----------------

I've been in Nairobi for about 2 weeks now, and it's an amazing town. It has lots of people who walk, ride the bus, ride Matatus(small vans that cram in about 14 people) and... some very courageous bikers (saw one rollerblader today too with his A|X glasses ones).

Biker here, are well first off old, mostly single speeds with a free wheel, and weigh about 50+ lbs.
Bikes take an active role on the sidewalk (which is usually unpaved compact dirt) and are often the subject of burnings (I think) for metal (I just saw it from the bus, I'm not sure how this would work or what they're after)

Cars here frequently use horns or "hoot" and drive very aggressively, always. There aren't any stop signs or lights, everything is done in roundabouts, which are crazy as hell, and Bikes always ride on the side - I've yet to see a bike in the middle of a turnabout

If you haven't pictured it yet, in-town Nairobi is hellish for bikes. :)

I'm looking for a two wheeled mode of transport that wasn't made in the 50's, or is a full suspension bike for 3,000 shillings (like $50), and maybe ride it to cyber cafes.

Either way, if you ever get a change to visit a country that doesn't take traffic lights seriously, I would advise it- and see how everybody else travels. (races here would be crazy and someone would die ...)

Hope everything is well in Atlanta

-Sean


Things I need more of
-Fash drive ( I think joe has it :p) - "who killed the floppy"
-Pens : oddly rare, and I don't want to pay
-short sleeved shirts - with collars
-ties ( I just need to buy one, they're really cheep)
-books
-pants

had to stay under 50 lbs on the way here, but I'll manage :)

Comments:
New members are awesome. I am going to make it my personal mission to elevate, glorify, and mythologize your existence amongst them, similar to what some of the most elder members here have done with the infamous Mike Williams.

There are three projects coming down the pipe, one of which is being headed up by Anna Perry... yay for her! But I'll let Kyle talk more about those.

Can't wait till you have pictures up!
 
Yeah, I do have that somewhere. You left it with me like a year ago.
 
Sean was mugged on Sat. 2/16. He sustained a head injury resulting in 70% hearing loss in his right ear and vertigo. He was released from the hospital yesterday and is on bed rest with his host family. We are having a difficult time communicating with the drs in Nairobi. If you have any contacts in Nairobi, please contact us mkolk@mindspring.com or 770-595-2337. thanks, margaret kolk
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home