2008/01/31

 

Qatar

Arrived in Qatar today after a very interesting series of plan rides from Atlanta to Washington-2 hours, then Washington to Doha - 12 hours, sat with a really cool gem merchant from Sir Lanka- who was born in San Diego, we talked about the Tamil Tigers, and bombings there.
I watched oceans 13... and cut my self with an air plan knife... Qatar Airways, good food sharp knifes. I did sleep a little, the bourbon helped, no I didn't take the benadrill, but should have. The flight was basically empty, I had a whole row to myself (3 seats in the center), but the arm rest didn't go all the way up, so it was really uncomfortable .

I arrived in Doha, the Capital of Qatar @ 7 pm their time, and waited in line for my visa for 1/2 and hour. Immigrations people scare me, my legs were shaking and hadn't done anything wrong.

When I did get through, I was really nervous, my phone wasn't working, and I went through security, and out into the exit room, where people meet all I saw where eyes staring at me... and I knew I had to find the Cafe' where I was to meet Ariane, but luckily a cute curly haired brunet with a bright red coat waved at me from right next to the door, I shook her hand, and was about to hug her in friendship lick fashion when she muttered " we can hug here, let go out side" where were maneuvered away from a giant mass of men all looking at us (or so it felt).

sooo... in Qatar, people don't drive... sanely, and it's not rode rage, they just ... don't drive safely, and there are lots of roundabouts which I still can't quite figure how they work, and why we didn't crash a few times over.

I learned that my misconception of my misconception was a misconnection, and I just started all over by not knowing anything. first thing we did was go to the old Souq- which is a market, thingy, it's really new, just made to look old. We went to the upstairs of a Shisha bar, only men were allowed down stairs ( I guess) and watched this music gathering with dancing children :)

I have video + sound of this too - when I get a faster connection.

After that I met a portion of the LC here in Doha, and we wandered around the souq - Ariane got a tattoo :

it's taking too long to up load these - Check my Flickr - in the little box on the right,

We went to the Red Castle, smoked, drink a lemon tea something that Ariane will correct me on, then went back to her place, where was much AIESEC talk, and eating .. turkish somethings, and .... It's just been a good day :)

Lots of talk about Qatar's culture, me going to Kenya, and the middle east's perception of American, just like what my perception was like before I got here... to this little pice.

Oh, and I need ppls Skype's

Tomorrow = Kenya :)

Comments:
LUCKYY!!!

More awesomer than most of us already. Damn.

Keep it up, shanks.
 
You are doing a great job with the updates so far. Keep it up. :)
 
Haha it was great to have you here. :)

Henna tattoo, lemon and mint juice, chicken shawarma... among the other things...

Let me know when you're set up in Nairobi!
 
Rad for the blog--you're going to have a fucking amazing time.
 
Sean:

I'm sure that all of the "grownups" admonitions to wait, don't go and PLEASE be careful got to sounding like blah blah blah after the 50th time you heard them, but now that you're over there, I have to say I'm proud of your courage, determination and sense of adventure. Take care, be well and continue to post as often as you can.

Who knows, once you learn how to spell, this could end up being a great book. Hemingway did less and got a lot of mileage out of it.
 
You're my hero.

On another note:
Skype - katiesassaman
 
I just found out from Laura that you're doing this amazing trip. Good for you! I'll keep checking for updates.
 
Sean,

Got a call from your Dad today.....now I'M concerned.

POST asap so we can get an update on you.....

Hugs ~

Gretchen xo
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home